Since 1998, MedShare has shipped over 900 forty-foot containers of medical supplies and equipment to 93 countries. We work with corporations, foreign governments, nonprofit organizations or individuals who wish to sponsor a shipment to specified healthcare recipients abroad.
The steps to sponsor a 40-foot medical container are:
- Secure funding for the sponsorship fee, which is typically U.S. $20,000 - $22,000, depending on the location, which includes shipping to the receiving port.
- Complete an online application (en Español, en Français) with details of the receiving hospital.
You can also download the application (English, Español, Français) and submit it via email or fax.
- Secure the necessary clearance documents from the government of the destination country confirming that this shipment will be allowing into the country duty-free. This is usually a formal letter from the Ministry of Finance or Treasury, but varies widely by country.
- Once the application is approved, your designated beneficiary completes a needs assessment with our Programs staff.
- After being assigned a login and password from MedShare, select supplies to fill the container (typically 1,000 to 1,200 cases of consumable supplies (see Section B below) while our biomedical staff prepares a small amount of equipment based on the beneficiaries needs and requests.
- After container arrives, the beneficiary will send photos of MedShare-donated supplies and equipment and impact stories to illustrate the shipment’s impact.
For more information on sponsoring a medical container, read our 40-Foot Ocean Container Shipping Program document.